The brain....love...and a letter

 I know this is going to sound almost impossible.  There are two Harvard Professors that are couples therapists and believe it or not...married for four decades. These two scientists?  Richard Schwartz and Jacqueline Olds👇


That my friends is the look of love after 40 years

Love may well be one of the most studied, but least understood, behaviors. More than 20 years ago, the biological anthropologist Helen Fisher studied 166 societies and found evidence of romantic love—the kind that leaves one breathless and euphoric—in 147 of them. This ubiquity, said Schwartz, an HMS associate professor of psychiatry at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass., indicates that “there’s good reason to suspect that romantic love is kept alive by something basic to our biological nature.”

If love lasts, this roller coaster of emotions, and, sometimes, angst, calms within one or two years, said Schwartz. “The passion is still there, but the stress of it is gone,” he added. Cortisol and serotonin levels return to normal. Love, which began as a stressor (to our brains and bodies, at least), becomes a buffer against stress. Brain areas associated with reward and pleasure are still activated as loving relationships proceed, but the constant craving and desire that are inherent in romantic love often lessen.

A 2011 study conducted at Stony Brook University in New York state found that it is possible to be madly in love with someone after decades of marriage. The research team, which included Fisher, performed MRI scans on couples who had been married an average of 21 years. They found the same intensity of activity in dopamine-rich areas of the brains as found in the brains of couples who were newly in love. The study suggested that the excitement of romance can remain while the apprehension is lost.

It goes without saying that there is a fear sometimes that we will de-mystify love, by analysis of dopamine, or the neuro-pathways that get us there.  But, take a look at Helen Fisher's presentation. You will note...she hasn't lost the magic of love at all...even with all of the science behind it. 


The brain in Love-Helen Fisher

Which brings me to my favorite love letter of all time:  It is a letter written by a soldier during the Civil War...to his darling wife.  This my friends...is a letter that should make each one of us think about what it means to actually say...I love you. 

July 14,1861
Camp Clark, Washington DC

Dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. And lest I should not be able to write you again I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I am no more.

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the government and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this government, and to pay that debt.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but omnipotence can break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly with all those chains to the battlefield. The memory of all the blissful moments I have enjoyed with you come crowding over me, and I feel most deeply grateful to God and you, that I have enjoyed them for so long. And how hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes and future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and see our boys grown up to honorable manhood around us.

If I do not return, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I loved you, nor that when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name...

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless, how foolish I have sometimes been!...

But, 0 Sarah, if the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they love, I shall always be with you, in the brightest day and in the darkest night... always, always. And when the soft breeze fans your cheek, it shall be my breath, or the cool air your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for me, for we shall meet again...


Who was Sarah?  She was a woman well loved, by a man, who knew how to express it. 

Now what sent me on this journey of love and what this means? An acquaintance of mine, was married for 50 years, and lost the love of his life.  He is grieving, no doubt, but he also is lonely.  He is looking to love again..or perhaps have companionship.  We humans don't do well alone.  Men particularly don't. 

But there is hope for my acquaintance, and he needs to know that.  



So, I would say for now...that he just needs to do what he considers best.  Trust his instincts and allow himself to be himself.  And not gauge his actions by what others think.  There is a lady that has come from his past to show an interest, and he has risen to the occasion...Good for him.  This is dedicated to my friend...and to all the possibilities.  

    

As always...

Love, 
The Lass. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Wasn't Roaring it Was Weeping...